Private Hawaii Photography Workshops :
Here’s your opportunity to spend a day shooting the extraordinary beauty of Maui, Hawaii with award-winning landscape and nature photographer and Maui resident Mike Neubauer. Very few people on this planet know the landscapes of Maui, Hawaii better than Mike Neubauer, and in this private Hawaii photography workshops, he will take you to some of his favorite spots on the island!
Pick his brain as he teaches you in a natural setting everything your mind can handle about photography, composition, lighting, processing images, even Hawaiiana. You and Mike will explore the lushest rainforests, towering waterfalls and some of the most pristine beaches anywhere in the world. Your daily itinerary will be customized to your liking so that you can have the opportunity to focus on the areas of the island or aspects of shooting that appeal most to you.
Personalize your private Hawaii photography workshops however you want! Just tell Mike what you are interested in learning and focusing on, and he’ll set up an itinerary based on your photographic goals.
- Transportation from your location on Maui to all photography locations.
- In-the-field shooting techniques (shutter speeds, aperture, low light compensation, focus stacking, creative compositioning, high dynamic range shooting, bracketing, etc.).
- Post processing techniques in Photoshop® and Lightroom®, including dodging, burning, exposure blending, double exposure blending, luminosity masks, curves, channels and more.
- Lunch and snacks
- A lot of laughs, memories and adventure!
What’s Not Included:
- Airfare to and from Maui, Hawaii
- Breakfast and Dinner.
Preparing for your adventure
It is highly recommended that you are in good physical shape for the workshop. Days will be long, and though we will make every effort to rest often on our journey, there will be a good bit of hiking involved. The ability to hike 3-5 miles a day while carrying your gear comfortably is encouraged. Temperatures in the islands are often hot and humid so breathable clothing, sunscreen and a hat are a necessity.
Rainforest areas are normally damp and wet so bringing rain gear and some kind of protective gear for your equipment is a good idea. It is also recommended to have solid footwear for hiking over lava rocks and through forests. Getting wet is nearly guaranteed, so be prepared.
Photography may be the main aspect of this workshop, but our number one priority is to keep you safe. In addition to being a seasoned back country hiker, Mike is EMR certified and current on all first responder training including swift water rescues, mountain rescues and ocean rescues.
What to bring
- Camera: Any camera will do, but we strongly recommend a DSLR or mirrorless camera with manual controls. You should be familiar with the basics functionality of the camera. If you don’t have a DSLR or mirrorless camera, we can provide you with rental gear before your workshop. However, you must let us know in advance.
- Tripod: Many of the images we will be shooting will require the use of a tripod. A good sturdy tripod is an essential piece of any photographer’s arsenal.
- Lenses: You will have the opportunity to shoot great images with all focal lengths, but most of the time Mike uses wide angle lenses. Make sure you bring your widest angle lens!
- Filters: Mike rarely uses filters. However, for certain shots he likes to have polarizer filters, neutral density filters and graduated neutral density filters. If you have ’em, bring ’em!
- Misc: It is highly encouraged that you bring a cable release for long exposure shooting, several extra batteries and lens cloths.
- Laptop: If you’d like to learn a bit about Mike’s post processing techniques, and to work on some of your own shots, it will be extremely valuable if you bring a laptop computer with Adobe® Photoshop® and Adobe® Lightroom® installed.
- Clothing and Shoes: Weather conditions can change dramatically from one area to another on the island so be prepared. A hat, sunscreen and breathable clothing are essential. Rain gear or an umbrella are a very wise idea. Solid hiking shoes and water shoes are also recommended.
- Come ready to learn! Mike will do his best to teach you everything you need to further your status as a photographer.
Can I bring my wife/husband/children/friends? These tours are designed for one-on-one personal instruction. At this time no other individuals, photographers or otherwise, are permitted without prior written approval by Mike.
Can you pick me up/drop me off at the airport or my hotel? Yes, this can be arranged. All tours include a custom itinerary based around your needs and photographic goals.
What if it rains? This island has areas where there is rain virtually all the time. All efforts will be made to avoid any weather that may be a hinderance to photographing the landscapes of Hawai‘i. However, unless the rain is unnaturally heavy and island-wide, the tour will function as normal. If the weather conditions appear to be completely unfavorable to your photography goals, both Mike and you may mutually agree to cancel the tour for a full refund or reschedule to a later date, pending availability.
Requirements: When scheduling a private Hawaii photography workshops, please be as honest as possible with your current level of conditioning. Certain areas of the island can be quite intense and are not recommended for all individuals. Please note whether or not you can swim as several locations require swimming to access. Good hiking shoes/boots are required and water shoes are highly recommended. Also note what kind of gear you are planning on bringing.
Book your private Hawaii photography workshops!
Cost for these private Hawaii photography workshops are $495 per day and includes everything listed above. A deposit of $275 will be due upon signup to hold your spot. The remainder of the balance will be due 30 days prior to the start date of the workshop.
A full refund will be provided for any cancellation notice given at least 30 days out from tour date. Cancellations between 8-29 days prior to the tour will be refunded ½ of the tour price. No refunds will be issued within 7 days of scheduled tour* though every effort will be made to reschedule free of charge.
*In the event of extremely poor weather conditions, you and Mike may mutually agree to cancel or reschedule your workshop. If cancellation occurs, you will be refunded the entirety of the workshop cost.
Cancellation must be received in writing (email is fine, as long as you receive acknowledgement of the email from us).